Pages

Saturday, August 9, 2014

hey remember when Peri asked me about violins?

yea eons ago she sent me this tumblr link http://glueandpieces.tumblr.com/post/66395732598/is-it-just-me-or-are-the-violins-sounding-weird-i

and i'm only just NOW actually listening to it, as tumblr gave me issues for the longest time. Experiments on keyofnik (which loads so easy for me) finally taught me which scripts i needed to allow and which scripts would absolutely crash my browser. So i finally got to hear it! the youtube link she sent was broken so i had to search for madoka opening, but i think i found it, it sounds similar enough to the violin piece that yea, i think it's what they aimed for. what i found is called Madoka Magica Opening-Connect. Anyway to the violins! come watch me type as i think!

Ok on my computer..(repeat: on my system)... the version on Peri's tumblr sounds...pretty normal. sometimes it seems like the violins might be slightly out of sync to the rest, but that could also be a style choice. It could be deliberate. Sometimes i lose the violins briefly in the piano (are there only 2 violins? sounds kinda like it) but yea some violins do have that kinda almost-a-bit-nasally-or-something sound. Stringed instruments all have their own timbre, tone color, much like human voices. that's probably why it's easy to switch a voice out for a violin, or vice versa. it also means that instrument auditions aren't just looking at the skill of the player, they have to consider the tone color of the instrument as well. I've got a violin (technically Mom's but hah like she plays it) that sounds very nasally to me. I also think my viola sounds very nasal. (sidenote: listening to the old test vid of mine on my channel.. wow that is soft. even with the keychain cam wow that is soft)

i also think that having the piano, which has a very different timbre, play many of the same notes at the same times as the violins just really makes the violins sound more nasally than they are. that combined with the violins being kinda soft, even to getting lost in the piano... yeah...

It's hard to pull a song that's part electric and make it all acoustic, and voiceless on top of that. Electric instruments are so different. The total feel of the song tends to change. Which is probably why my main issue with this violin piece is actually the bass ^_^ because the bass line sounds electric to me. WTF if you're gonna go acoustic then dammit go acoustic!

Another thought... the Madoka opening i found, even with the voices, also has violins. Very clear/sweet-timbre violins, so it can be a shock to the ear to go from those violins to the ones used in the cover. And the madoka opening violins both have solos and play WITH the voices,doubling the voices, so maybe that's why the piano doubles the violins in the cover. Like they switched out the voices for violins for those parts, and then used the piano for everything else. And ofc the violins also had solos originally so ofc the cover would have that too. Wow that's hard... to make a piano/violin only version of a song that already has both instruments in it. Wow.. you'd only be taking stuff away really. Wooooowwwwww.

I would still dump that bass, but otherwise I think they did good.

opening recording i used: youtube.com/watch?v=mRwOkJETOfk

another classical version of Connect I found: youtube.com/watch?v=Xh0Ul8JSU2A -this uses a full orchestra, and this sounds a bit Legend of Zelda to me but since i love Zelda that didn't bother me a bit ^_^

i do wonder how long those links will work. I sometimes wonder why the official holders of the copyrights don't just do their own official channels or something. Youtube is so useful for finding music. Yea yea i know thieves but really, not having official channels doesn't stop the thieves. And official channels would also make new music by the same composers easier to find. Because many peeps, me too, like to listen/view before we buy. Wouldn't that mean more customers? or am i just one of those rare types who understands that musicians need to eat too? I mean I even see people posting the Sailor Moon reboot (Crystal) on youtube!! WTF?? it's already free online! I guess there are region restrictions in some places. I saw people talking about it on Jetwolf's tumblr. But they also came up with workarounds and shared links to LEGAL sites that were showing Crystal. Because the companies need those numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment