Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2012

long blather on my issues with making websites and ideas

wtf am I doing up?
Attempting to research advertising sources, that's what!!!

Must do webcomic!!! Dunno where to get a domain yet, but i like putting the cart before the horse :p

AdSense is one option..... but they seem strict! And wtf needing to hit $100 before they pay me?
Anyway my fave webcomic egscomics.com (yes i'm plugging him again) uses something called Project Wonderful... and they seem cool.
I don't have any accounts with either of these ad groups yet. I'm still thinking. Project Wonderful also says they'll work with anyone because they basically just give you a script that you copy-paste onto your site. They even say they can work on Blogger.

i also ran into something called Site Build It! which is basically you hiring tech types to build your website for you. You supply the content... and they hook you up with ads and they create the coding that makes your site look the way you want it. They'll also handle forums if you want a board for your fans to meet you, assuming you are kickass enough to get fans.

Buuut... it's $300 each year. And while I do have it for this year, even factoring in a $500 car repair bill (I still haven't gotten my car in to be checked, poor thing) and a $1500 tuition bill..... do i want it? How complicated can putting MSPaint pictures up be? But then I think.... every time i put a new comic up... doesn't that mean redoing the index to show the new comic and turning the old index into a named page... or something?
I used to have a Geocities account waaaaaaay back when. It was pretty bare-bones and ofc only ran the standard Geocities ads that i didn't even place. (or get money off of)

Anyway I have the money....
How do i have it?
Cuz I'm a cheapskate who mooches off my Mom. No rent for me. She covers the house. She pays utilities (and I am using waaaay too much electricity staying up all damn night) She buys the food (which explains the pickings around here heh)
And i seriously don't deserve it. My Mom fucking ROCKS.

But I still want ads to cover whatever my website ends up costing... and maybe some extra to help Mom with that electric bill. Sorry, Mom!!

I did have a secondary idea once i saw all that Site Build it! offered...... but i'm probably reinventing the wheel. I'll float it by you all. Tell me if I'm running a hamster wheel.
Yummy Secrets collects and publishes reports and articles she finds about how the medical and social communities think aand treat eating disorders. PrettyThin is a community of people who have such disorders but medical professionals are apparently welcome.
My thought was... we're the people dealing with these thoughts... so shouldn't we be the people teaching what this condition is really like? Shouldn't our opinions be included in the top-level research? Why aren't our viewpoints included in the case studies done on us? One blogger here actually found herself in a case study, and she was devastated to read what the therapist/researcher really thought of her.

My fave feminist professor always said that researcher objectivity is a myth.
Because even the stuff the researcher notices will be determined by what the researcher is unconsciously looking for. The very observations are affected by the bias in what the researcher expects. The researcher's own situation will color what the researcher sees. it's inevitable.

And then there's how all research is really only done on those who have been treated, or at least "officially diagnosed" so there's a section of people that are excluded even from what research does happen.
I just had the thought about starting a website that would basically be aimed at the non-disordered, especially the treatment people, who would be outright asked to listen to us directly. And I'd want to include stories like the one i mentioned earlier... as well as anyone else who felt that treatment made things worse (I've heard that a few times now, after all)
I'd also want to try to get some recovery tips up for the many many sufferers who simply can't afford any sort of treatment. Tips written by other ED-sufferers who also want to get better, or at least stay alive.
Including me... my story would be there too. As would the method i now use to get back to eating when i relapse.
I'd want to collect and publish any story sent to me about how that person's ed started. Because we all have different stories.

Something Fishy does something similar to this idea but they seem to censor things a bit.. I can't explain how.. but I feel ... not-fully-open over there.

So am i reinventing the wheel or what?

Webcomic is gonna happen either way tho.. I just have to figure out HOW!

Grrr!!! I'm feeling stuck in feverish-frustrated-creator mode... can't figure out the best way to do what i want to do! Probably why i keep getting other project ideas... takes the heat off of the one I'm most wanting!
i even dug the viola out!!! And finished the rough draft (extremely rough) for my dictation of Samantha Ronson's song 'Pedestals'.
Now if only I could figure out how I'm supposed to decide which key signature to write and how do you decide the time signature? Once i get that done, whoch note is a quarter vs an eighth etc will just fall into place. or maybe I'm doing it backwards?

My brain is stuck in that wants-to-work-but-really-needs-sleep mode. UGH!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I'd definitely go with Project Wonderful. that's what MSPA uses, and they have millions of page views.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Webcomic advertising:
    http://www.topwebcomics.com
    Also: Do ad-exchanges with comics you like? Offer ad space on your webcomic page for space on another person's comic? You can also email people like Crystal Yates (Earthsong) and the guy who does Questionable Content and the person who does Zebra Girl and and and and and (lol) and ask them how they did it and if they had tips for noobs :)

    I have a cracked version of Photoshop and a tablet I haven't touched in about a year coz of uni, I should learn how to use them. Lol, you is an inspiration!

    Can't wait to read this webcomic. If it helps I'll rave about it for you :p

    Awwww *Squirms* you really like the kiwi accent that much? How about I send you some DVDs of Kiwi soaps (Soap Opera tv shows) so you can get some exposure to a good range of variants?
    I've got the South-South-Island accent with a bit of a change to it since I spent 10 months overseas speaking American English to be understood. I have a real bad habit of copying the inflections of people I'm talking to :x Lol, the test to see if someone's a real southener (Goreon) is to ask them to say 'Thirty dirty purple work shirts' coz they really roll their 'r's!

    Hmmm, you should watch Black Sheep and Bad Taste and Scarfies to get you started. Scarfies was filmed in my town! You can see 'The Scarfie House' from my kitchen window :3

    I use Prism Video File Converter to squish the video files down. That Vlog was 700mb pre-squish and 100 post-squish! They have a deal running at the moment with a couple of sites, so I bought a $3 game and got the full home version of Prism instead of paying $30 :D :D :D

    Hum, I looked at the Wikipedia page for the recorder
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recorder
    mine is pretty much identical to the one shown in the photo on the wiki page, but I don't know if it's a descant (USA:Soprano) or trebel (USA:Alto) D:

    Oh. My. God. You two MUST watch the movies and get the albums! I have all 3 XD The Hobbiton and Rohan themes are my favourites. The composer was a fucking GOD! Lol, I hope you have some luck with her as well as educating her :p

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you mind elaborating a bit more about the case study/blogger thing? I sometimes get requests to participate in 'research' through various universities... I haven't participated and that one sentence you wrote made me glad I haven't.

    ReplyDelete