Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

more blather on website making...with experiments ^_^

reading reading reading on website creation...

register domain name- needs yearly renewal- costs $
buy hosting space- usually monthly fee- more $
seems i'd also pay for the bandwidth i use, depending on the host's deal? so yet more $
hence me admitting i'll need to run ads to pay for it.... or write a kickass book a la Mich ^_^
She's still queen there tho.
anyway.....

if my host doesn't provide a basic html editor... wtf do i do?

Need to review my old html books. Ugh.. I'm sure they're outdated by now. testing old memories...doing all in the Edit HTML tag
nesting tags

h1

h2

h3

h4

(eta: wtf w the color change? How did i do that? H4 tag never did that for me before!)

ads to help with money to keep comic up....
I've got another vote for Project Wonderful from zephora (lovely name).

And peri has a good idea about networking (and begging for tips from other comic writers. I'm pretty sure "competition" isn't stiff with comics.. cuz we can all read all sorts of comics.)
Also thanks for topwebcomics site... I can see there's lots of room for crazy variety in the webcomic world.
It's a bit freeing.. and also intimidating.. how could i possibly get noticed with other comics that have much better artwork?

Then again... is xkcd known for its stellar artwork?

Could my mspaint really hold attention?

But... Hyperbole! Mich! They rock! I love them! isn't it possible someone else could like mine? Comics can be in many styles... right? Including an mspaint EMBRACE THE CHEESE kinda cubic style?

Also gonna start looking at the html for my faves... looks like I need to find out what this CSS/stylesheet stuff is.

wtf is php???

Blah! Ok... what are my main worries about launching a comic? Let me start there... cuz I'm feeling frozen...

fear that the webhost is a liar and will eat my comic, thus wasting my money.
Go with reputable hosts.... thus far most "votes" are for godaddy for the domain name, and either webs.com or host gator for the hosting space itself.

And always keep a backup of my site on my computer. barebones html does not take up a lot of space.

second biggest worry.....can i actually update it without doing something that makes the whole site crash?
Solution... umm... uh....

yea.

(distracted by reading Earthsong)


where was i? Oh yea.. wtf is php and how can i create a website and then update it in a manner that doesn't involve redoing the index page every time i have a new comic to post?

and yes... I just read ALL of the Earthsong saga thus far.
Might explain why it's 2am.

and i still have no fucking clue how to get my comic off the ground. I do feel more intimidated though.

maybe i should just buy a domain and hosting somewhere (where???) and then at least i'll have a site to practice html on!

FUCK!!!


and i thought youtube had video editors they included when you used their site?
fuck yet again!!
awwww... i just got a tag error on edit html form.. and it actually told me where the error was.. how nice!! Draft is being saved again!

just saw a tiny scar on my hand from a nasty scratch I got at work the other day. it was red and puffy yesterday and is calmed and flat today. Weird but i kissed that poor little scar. My little hands take way too much of a beating at that place.

I wish i could wear gloves while working. Too many sick people coughing, or licking their thumbs before handling their money.. and gross sweaty ladies keeping their cash in their bras EWWWWWWW.

I have to get this comic up. Story ideas crowd my head! For the comic, the characters, the silliness they do. A safe place to escape from shit.
And the hope that i could make a living from cartooning. Or something that I love to do. Trying to get this comic up has also pulled all my other stories out of hibernation and now they're crowding my head too! Multiple comics? i don't know... something that I love tho.... and I'm used to living on very little. I don't need much. And the freedom of being away from that place would be worth far more than money.
No amount of money can ever buy back time.

4 comments:

  1. Your H4 turned colors because that's the size/style of the H4 on your blog - compare it to the entry title. :)

    You can do it! I read your blog a lot but never comment, and I think you are fully capable of doing this.

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha the problem with your h1 and etc headings is probably something to do with the blogger layout. blogger uses HTML as well, so their CSS (!) embeds the styles into the layout. CSS is just another sheet that organizes styles and embedded images, etc. Thanks, fall semester compsci class =/ oy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is room out there for ANY webcomic!
    Also: Don't worry about the art! I saw Earthsong before Lady Yates redrew it, and trust me she didn't used to be this good! :p You might want to go back and read Questionable Content and Megatokyo to see how the art has evolved over time ask the artists' skill grew and their individual styles developed.

    The person who does Alien Dice/Shivae/Many others may be one to look at for doing many different comics and raising money. Donation incentives (Backgrounds/custom art/character portraits/extra pages) and a donation meter are good for when you get a bigger readership and have to get more bandwidth to keep up with demand. Also ads on the site? Good to look into!

    WOOT for getting her cellphone number! *High fives you* :D Move slowly and cautiously when stalking the wild deer in her natural habitat :p

    YOU CAN DO IT! :D I believe in you!

    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could be more help wit the website thing, but that's why I went with Webs--it was the simplest web design site I could find. :/

    And I love your MS Paint comics, so I think people would definitely hold anyone's attention!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete