Pages

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Edit: totally forgot to mention the Winter Weather Advisory in effect for most of today. Serious snow from late afternoon til damn near midnight. When I got off work my dear coworker who gave me a ride needed to almost dig her car out! I tried to help much as I could. There was only one ice-scraper so clearing the windows was still all her.
I'm dreaming of a White Christmass.....

I said my intake would be crap, and it is. Christmas truly just takes me over. But I am using a mini-intermittent Fasting idea.... I eat once a day. And only once. All my calories (well, about 99%) have to be taken in within a 4 hour window. That's 4 hours in a row..not 1 hour here and another there. So I'm alternating 20hr fasts with 4hr Piggy McBingey. I am not gonna lose any weight on this plan, but it will keep the gains small while still letting me indulge in all the Christmas goodies. I even went back to using half-scoops of my protein powder with half packets of Go Greens. So my liquid 20hr fasts don't go over 70cal for the whole 20 hours. And the extra water I'm taking in is good for me.
This is how I'm gonna cope with all the extra food that's around during the holidays. I know I can drop the weight...but I dearly love Christmas and I want to enjoy the ride. So that's how I'm gonna cope. And so far it's working well. I don't have to burn willpower for days on end. Just for a few hours. "I'll eat it later today" has saved me many times. And when that 4hr window comes omnomnom but I still don't eat *all* the foods that I said "I'll eat it later today" about because I get stuffed before I eat it all! So it goes into tomorrow's food pile. Repeat: I am not losing weight right now... I am gaining... but... the gains are very very slow and I still get to partake in a lot of the Christmas fun. So this crazy plan works for me right now. Maybe I could lose on this plan if I ate less during those 4hrs? I dunno...probably. maybe I'll try it later. Right now I just want to enjoy Christmas without doing a lot of damage. I know I can drop these small gains once I knuckle down. Especially now that my body is even more ana than I am xD
Me: ooo chocolate! Omnomnom
Body: wtf? Have some diarrhea!
Me: oh fuck! *runs to bathroom*

Me: ooocarbs! Sugars! Omnomnom
Body: seriously? This is like burning air.
Me: ooo I'm energetic and happy!
(30 minutes later...or less)
Me: uunngh I feel sleepyyyyyyzzzzzz
Body: carbohydrates... big overture, little show :)

Another question about ketosis. Yea I never claimed to be a good teacher ^_^ so let's try again.
We're all familiar with fasting, right? Aka starving to lose weight? How many of us have heard "oh you don't want to do that or your body will go into survival mode!" Or how many of us have been told to avoid "starvation mode" at all costs?
Guess what? Starvation mode = ketosis. Survival mode = ketosis. Ketosis is why people can survive without food for so long. Ketosis is how a starving person stays alive on just water for so long.

There is only one big difference between starving and eating low-carb:
When you are starving, the protein used to make sugar comes from your muscles.
When you eat low-carb, the protein used to make sugar comes from the protein you eat.

Does that help? I can try to go more in depth but I'm reaching the limits of my knowledge here. As far as leaving ketosis...simply eating a lot of carbs will take you out of ketosis.
About the Twistted bar... it's basically the protein bar version of a chocolate covered pretzel sitting on a thin sheet of caramel and peanut-flavored nougat. The 15g protein is kickass. These bars do what they say... I've just learned I prefer pretzles and chocolate to stay separate. If you like chocolate covered pretzels Twisted might be a good match for you. I just don't like the taste all that well.

Wow I wrote another essay. I just don't know when to shut up. It's like 3am here so I need to get a new water bottle and head to bed. Zzzzzz

1 comment:

  1. You sound like me at Christmas... I'm trying not to flip out so much. I figure as long as I can keep the gains minimal, and basically just maintain, I can survive until the New Year without having some kind of homicidal episode.

    <3

    ReplyDelete