Pages

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Having a Life Coach sure does keep me hopping! that part has me happy. Like I'm making some actual progress towards getting out of school. It would be nice to have a degree.
Haven't made much progress on the weight front. Been talking about life plans. Possibly trying to find some work/volunteer opportunities in eating disorder treatment. Maybe see how the "professionals" think. I'm still trying to formulate a hypothesis to use for internship.
So I've heard from a couple peeps now.... ok..
Even as an ana is told to ignore her body ie take off the sweater because it's not that cold and besides she should focus on other things than her body...at the same time her body is still the focal point of her "treatment". Progress is measured by weight. Her goal weight determines when she'll be released. Rhodes Farm will sometimes lower a girl's goal weight if she gets her period. I think that shows that "treatment" may be more focused on keeping a girl able to breed than able to be happy. Breeding does not equal happiness. Some want to breed and some don't.
I've now had a couple reports on vegetarians being pathologized. Yes I know some ana s go vegetarian simply to avoid certain foods BUT.... it does not follow that all anas who go vegetarian do so solely to avoid calorie-dense foods.
I've also read how a girl who didn't want to wear makeup was asked why she didn't want to take care of herself. As though not wanting makeup was somehow disordered. What?!

At least one blogger here actually checked herself in seeking help. She left hurt and bittterly disappointed, and her final motive for "getting well" was simply that she wanted out. She later recognized herself in a "case study" and was very hurt to find she'd been labelled difficult and a liar even tho she was honest about her mental struggles. At least she was until she realized honesty only made her "treatment" worse.

I think that "treatment" reinforces heterosexism and conformity. It would be interesting to get inside a center and see from the provider's point of view.

On my own front...I now have a goal date. On the 28th I'll be on stage in front of that "church" for their yearly variety show. My bro and the half-sibs signed up and want me there so we could be a quartet. I feel guilt-tripped into this and want to look too delicate to be harassed over my orientation.

Also I think I'm totally falling in love w Mich cuz she just rocks and I gotta go check abebooks and email Mich again since my gmail app is having issues. Seems an email I sent R didn't arrive til 2 days later...and then it arrived as 3 copies. Ummm...

Edit: after getting Dylphe's comment I remembered how girls (like our blogger who later found herself in a case study) are actually told to NOT discuss their negative experiences.. the official line is it would discourage others from seeking treatment but let's flip the viewpoint...
If your egg seller regularly sold you spoiled eggs, does the seller really have the right to expect you to keep quiet? That if you were only compliant you would learn to like spoiled eggs?
Another example...if you went to a cancer treatment facility and were misdiagnosed or given the wrong drug sequence again and again, or had to redo xrays because the machine wasn't properly aligned over and over....should you stay silent because it might discourage other cancer patients from seeking treatment?

These eating disorder clinics are selling a specific service: they claim to make anorexics into normal people. If their treatments don't work, is it really so wrong to expect them to try something else? Is it really so wrong to want one's freedom of speech to talk about one's experiences?

4 comments:

  1. wow sounds like doctors just see the paycheck but don't really care, it sounds like the whole just eat something thing except they actually make you...sad really makes it discouraging for people to get help

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it would definitely help you to either try and change the system or keep the system going if you interned at a clinic. There are more outpatient groups than in and those are easier to get internships with. If you're really interested I'm sure your life coach knows someone who can make a recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. <3

    Such a shame that so many of those treatment centers just make us worse. You'd think with all the money that gets poured into hospitals and insurance companies and things, that they could actually provide competent medical professionals at these centers.

    You're fabulous, darling. :-*

    ReplyDelete
  4. interesting idea, glad you're making some life progress :) that's always good, that's something I need to get working on >.>

    ReplyDelete