Pages

Monday, January 3, 2011

Rest in peace, Isabelle Caro

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1342580/Anorexic-model-Isabelle-Caro-appeared-shock-fashion-campaign-dies-28.html#ixzz19iEFidB8

Yes, this is a disease. Yes, it kills. And yes, fashion bears some serious responsibility for making it "good" to be so thin.

Anorexics have probably been around as long as humanity. But sometimes I wonder if at least some girls aren't shoved into this by fashion rules. And that goes double if you want to be a model.
My own ana-journey may have started as a coping mechanism, but what of the poor kid picked on because of her weight? And then she sees the skinny models? I think it's related. Still more complicated than just "get bigger models" but I do think it's related somehow.

4 comments:

  1. Anorexia has been documented as long ago as the middle ages. Back then it was apparently hardcore fasting for religious reasons, but people still starved themselves to death--it was called Anorexia Mirabilis ("Holy Anorexia"). The Nervosa version was first named in the 1800's, so it must be even older than that...

    Thanks for your comments. They made me smile. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it sad that when I saw that a few days ago my first thought was "I wish my shoulder blades were that sharp looking" then I felt horrible.. I think the desire to be a model pushes some girls over the edge, but the thing is they were already on the edge and if not an eating disorder, it would have been something else. Before I started this it was self harm and throwing myself into abusive relationships. Also, they have records of anorexics even when/where being fat or chubby was in style. So no I don't really think fashion can really be blamed too much. A factor sometimes, sure, but never the whole cause. There are healthy ways to get a great body after all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do research in school with different people, and through all the background reading I've done, there are studies that show that even viewing images of thin women correlates with eating less. Like they've had people look at pictures and they actually measure how much ice cream those people eat versus people who view images of random objects and it affects us. It's kind of terrible then that all we're exposed to is the super thin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ana Regzig's blog was the first blog I'd ever come across. I had been restricting for months, but her blog is what made me realize how common it really was.

    I still read her blog sometimes. Like old posts. And I don't consider myself "pro-ana", because I wouldn't want to pressure someone into it. Like I feel like I sincerely didn't ask to share the same obsession.

    I make sense, don't I? lol

    ReplyDelete