Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2011

rambling grocery shopping post-walmart

Yup...stayed up way too fucking late and overslept and didn't make it to class.
Did I mention I suck?
Still wanted out of the house...walking around walmart right now.
I've never grocery shopped before....hard to believe huh?
Just let Mom handle it.
Just wandering thru walmart's food section.... hard to not pick up all the yummy cookies in the deli.. run away run away!

Is $1.82 a fair price for pork hocks? What are they used for anyway? I've seen Mom put theme in the crock pot but I guess she just boils whatever meat is left & tosses the bones cuz I've seen no hocks on my plate.
$1.76 for neckbones. Average seems about 5 bones per package for hocks & about 7 for neckbones.
Looking at sliced hams.....$3.68 / lb for smithfield...never had it. Cheapest is Tavern boneless half ham $2.87 per lb. Looking at beef.....wow big hunks here. Over $10..... about $5 per lb seems average.
Found a 5lb roll of ground beef (think it's ground chuck..says beef tho) for $10. The 1lb is $3. I could eat the lil 1lb all by myself.
Wtf is beef tripe? It's white stuff.
Some of this stuff looks Halloweeny...blood still in there.
Eeewww a pork stomach!!
Hey some pork neckbones in this section for 1.66 per lb.
Whole chicken $1 per lb. Average price 5.50 so guess that means 5lb chickens huh?
Omg shrimp! 12oz shrimp bags for $5 I may have to come back for those. Don't want them to thaw while I wander. Ha! And more shrimp...these ones still in shell...are $3.98 for 12oz.
Awww these tiny "game hens" over here..barely bigger than my hand. $6.98 for then..expensive for such a tiny thing..but so cuuuute. If it's just me then maybe....and it's the free range minimal processed if I'm reading this right.
Over in the official fish section...I guess shrimp are special to get their own spot. Whoa whole fish, scales and all! Tilapia whatever that is.
I feel a need to say that I'm not mentioning all the meats and stuff walmart has over here...cuz there's more than what I named...just getting a feel for prices....
Cod fillets $3.98 for 16oz bag.
Found some of those bag dinners those "smartpouch" things that you microwave and then open the pouch and plop it on your plate. 2 smartpouch dinners per bag, the pouches must not be very big. $5 per bag on sale. They all have peppers of some sort tho... maybe I'll try the shrimp one. I can take red and yellow peppers I think.
Awww super tiny shrimp 1lb for $5 seems shrimp prices are by weight, not shrimp size.
Oh here's some expensive meats..... wild smoked salmon tomato basil added is $5.87 for 4.5 oz hmm.
Crab cakes over here.cheapest is $5.87 per lb but aren't they like a fattening type dish anyway? Like a non-sweets dessert? Dunno I never had one.

Ok over at the boxed dinners R tends to get...the Banquet ones which have everything including meat already in box are $3 but what kind of meat is shelf-stable? Most the other boxed stuff is the helper dishes where you get the meat on your own.
I can see that these boxed things are cheaper. Some are, anyway.
A total fatty just went by me on those electric scooters. While I'm in the boxed dinners hmmmm.
Lady giving out small soup samples for marie callender soups, seems they're just under $2 a can. They started selling their chicken pot pie filling as a soup hmmm....
Yummy...also the first thing I've eaten today. I took a can. Just one..they're carby..but yummy and the old lady hawking then was working so hard. Peeps her age should be able to retire. Economy is fucked up.

More frozen meats...bacon!! Wow lots of bacon varieties. Seems cheapest is walmart's brand (ofc) about $4 per lb. They do have little 2oz packages for 2.98 but wtf? Seems shopping for one is expensive...altho the way I love bacon I could go thru a lb a week. And bacon is low carb. High sodium tho..eh... ooo hot dogs are yummy and sooo junky and oscar meyer is $3 a pack and 8 dogs still in a pack...
Oh they have Hebrew National here...hahaha exactly 7 franks per $4 bag. Hmm Hebrew National is by ConAgra Foods? I guess the only point is that it does have the Kosher symbol on it.
Eckrich franks $2 for a pack of 10...but they're smaller franks than oscar meyer.
Awww lunchables are so cute.... expensive for what nibbles you get...but cute.
Here's the prepackaged deli meat..the sandwich stuff. Cheapest is around $3 for 9oz of sliced ham. Or turkey.
Walmart brand block cheese about $5 a lb. Mmmm cold colby... and ofc walmart brand cheapest.
Eggs range from $2 to $4 for a dozen. Awww and little half doz for 90 cents.
Sorry Samantha...I can't find eggs sold in packs of 2 :p ^_^
Battery going down ok dammit to frozen veggies!
Wow the frozen veg section actually isn't very large. Most the frozen aisles are filled w entrees and microwave cheeseburgers etc. They got the basics...mostly walmart brand...$2 for a lb of... whatever. Peas, corn, carrots, cut broccoli, veg mixes. Only the "steams in the bag" ones are over $2 a pound. Many are $1 a lb.
Well seems even poor peeps can get veggies. And I'll have to brb cuz battery going.
Yet must note my salisbury steak tv dinners are here 1.08 ea.
Milk still from 2.50 to $5 per gallon and that's the not organic stuff. You want organic it's over $6 a gal. Same with soymilk, almond milk and the new lactose-free milk (wow!?!?)

Ok home now.... after i put phone away there was a lady working a sample counter for these new milk granola bars that need refridgeration and are very very yummy, like cookie dough texture. I didn't buy any but she was near the end of her shift and did NOT want to throw the last 3 boxes of samples away sooo I ate quite a few and i got other customers over to eat some too.
And then she gave me 2 bars.. (not 2 boxes, 2 bars) along with some coupons cuz turns out she was made to throw those away too.
Retail is fucking wasteful.

Anyway bought a pound of frozen broccoli, half a dozen eggs, a can of the soup i mentioned earlier, 2 Buddy Fruits (yay! i love those) and the shrimp steam dinner thing i mentioned. oh and 2 lil cans of the french vanilla latte instant coffee I like.
Total was just under $16. If I'd behaved tho and not gotten the carby shit... it could have been as low as $4. Cuz the broccoli, eggs, and Buddy Fruits were all $1 each (or less). My coffee was $3 each. Then the soup and the dinner? Bad Honor.. oh well I'll do better next time.
I'm very pleased that i did not buy junk food. No candy no chocolate.

Got home and suggested to Mom that she start giving me a list and her Kroger card and i'd do the shopping for her. Cuz i kinda like it and while kroger isn't walmart the grocery sections are still groceries. not that big a diff.

Super brief food review.... I just had the shrimp dinner.. wow too spicy for me. Can't taste the shrimp or the broccoli.. the pasta has no taste.. ALL i taste are whatever spices they used! Eeks! I only had one pouch, I'll get a pic of the wrapper before it gets tossed. Also the serving is smaller than the pouch would have you think.

Next up will probably be kroger.. hopefully with Mom's money ^_^
Walmart does have these lil cheeseburger things made by my fave tv dinner brand: Michelina's so I'll probably be going there again soon anyway.
Also they have the HUGE bags of my turkey jerky.
Damn why do i feel so tired? Carb crash most likely.
Mom's got scary stuff on tv again.. why does she like that realistic crime drama stuff?
Guess i go play Sims until i sleep.

1 comment:

  1. NEVER grocery shopped?!? I love doing the grocery shopping! But then again, I've been in charge of that since I was 12 (Mum used to drop me off at the A&P and come back in an hour to pick up myself and the groceries...). At this point I'm familiar with pretty much every supermarket within 20 miles of my house.

    Tripe is made from bits of the cow's stomach.

    Game hens are delicious. Actually all game birds are delicious. And the smaller the bird, the better the flavour.

    Sounds like a successful shopping trip to me! And I love that you documented the whole thing while you were shopping. :D

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete